The Eye of Genie Introduction
The Eye of Genie is a famous attraction located in the Garze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, western of Sichuan Province, China. It is approximately 600 kilometers away from Chengdu. In the Tibetan language, The Eye of Genie is called "Ge Nie Xian," and it has an elevation of 3,885 meters. It is one of the many seasonal lakes in the high-altitude grasslands of Yiraka. The lake has a unique shape, and during the middle to late September, it fills with water, forming concentric circles of aquatic plants according to the terrain. From a bird's-eye view, it resembles a glistening and translucent eye, earning the nickname "Eye to Heaven" and commonly referred to as the Eye of Genie.
Apart from the lake itself, the Eye of Genie offers many breathtaking landscapes. The surrounding mountains soar into the clouds and are covered in ice and snow, creating a spectacular glacier scenery. Along the lake's edge, you can enjoy the beautiful wetland grassland, known for its unique ecological environment. The area where the Eye of Genie is located is the best position to observe and photograph the southern slope of Ge Nie and the group of peaks. Here, you can appreciate magnificent natural scenery, including lakes, glaciers, grasslands, and snow-capped mountains, making it an excellent choice for photography enthusiasts and nature lovers.
Transport from Chengdu to the Eye of Genie
To reach Ge Nie, you need to take a bus from Chengdu to Litang. Depart from Chengdu Xinnanmen Bus Station and board a bus bound for Litang. Once in Litang, you can arrange a chartered car to Ge Nie.
Another option is to take a flight to Daocheng Yading Airport and then arrange a chartered car to Litang and Ge Nie.
The ideal way to explore western Sichuan is through private transfer or a guided tour, enabling you to appreciate the picturesque scenery throughout the journey. Western Sichuan is renowned for its stunning landscapes that will captivate your senses.
Tours from Chengdu to the Eye of Genie
It is known as the Ge Nie South Route.
Day 1: Chengdu - Kangding, approximately 4-hour drive
Day 2: Kangding - Litang, approximately 6-hour drive
Day 3: Litang - Ranrika, visit Ge Nie Log Cabins and Ge Nie Zhi Yan
Day 4: Ranrika - Zebacun, explore Lao Leng Ancient Temple, Ge Nie Sacred Mountain, and Ge Nie Flower Sea
Day 5: Zebacun - Xinduqiao - Chengdu
Travel tips for visiting the Eye of Genie
1. It is highly recommended to bring a drone to capture the stunning aerial views of the Eye of Genie.
2. Please be aware that scenic area is still undergoing development, and some sections of the road from Litang to the Eye of Genie are in poor condition, requiring the use of off-road vehicles.
3. The period from April to May marks the start of water accumulation, while mid-September is the optimal time to witness its beauty. The best hours for photography are between 15:00 and 18:00 in the afternoon.
4. Keep in mind that the elevation reaches nearly 4,000 meters, increasing the risk of altitude sickness.
5. This is the hometown of the rising internet celebrity Ding Zhen(丁真), drawing numerous visitors, particularly during public holidays, who come here to admire his popularity.
Get a quick answer from ETripChina team
online customer service
0086 773 5842555
WhatsApp: +86 13617732531
Best Travel Tips
Bipenggou in Sichuan
Moshi Park in Ganzi
Mount Siguniang in Western Sichuan
Huanglong National Park in Sichuan
Daocheng Yading in Sichuan
The Eye of Genie in Sichuan
Dagu Glacier National Park
Seda Larung Wuming Buddhist Institute
Jiaju Tibetan Village in Danba
Tagong Grassland in Kangding