Chengdu 144-hour Transit Visa
Traveling to Chengdu without a visa is possible for certain nationalities under the visa exemption policy. This visa is specifically designed for travelers who are in transit and have a valid onward ticket to a third country or region within the designated time frame. Currently, travelers from 53 countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and many European countries, can enjoy visa-free entry to Chengdu for up to 144 hours (6 days).
During your visa-free stay, you can explore Chengdu and its surrounding areas including Leshan, Deyang, Suining, Meishan, Ya'an, Ziyang, Neijiang, Zigong, Luzhou, and Yibin.
How to make use of the visa-free transit in Chengdu
To be eligible for visa-free entry, you must meet certain criteria. Follow the steps to make use of the visa-free transit in Chengdu.
1. Check your eligibility: Ensure that you hold a passport from one of the eligible countries and meet the requirements for visa-free transit in Chengdu. These requirements typically include having an onward ticket to a third country or region within the specified timeframe and transiting through Chengdu Tianfu International Airport.
View the list of eligible countries and other requirements for the transit visa in China: China Visa-free Transit Policy: 24-hour, 72-hour, 144-hour
2. Plan your itinerary: Decide on the duration of your stay in Chengdu, keeping in mind that the visa-free transit period is typically up to 144 hours (6 days). Make a list of the places you want to visit and activities you wish to experience during your stay.
Note: If you arrive at 8:00 PM on August 1st, the counting of hours will start from 12:00 AM on August 2nd, and you can stay until 11:59 PM on August 4th for taking 72-hour transit visa and Aug 7th for 144-hour transit visa. Hence, the authorized duration of your stay is typically over 72/144 hours.
3. Book your flight: Arrange your flights in a way that you will be transiting through Chengdu Tianfu International Airport. Here are some examples to illustrate the correct and incorrect flight routes:
UK – Chengdu – France
UK – Hong Kong – Chengdu – France
UK – Chengdu – Hong Kong – UK
UK – Beijing – Chengdu – France
UK – Chengdu – Beijing – France
Remember that you are not permitted to have additional stops in other cities within China during your transit, except Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. It's important to double-check your flight itinerary and consult with the airline or relevant authorities to ensure compliance with the transit visa regulations and avoid any complications during your journey.
4. Prepare required documents: Ensure you have the necessary documents, including a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity, an onward ticket to a third country or region, and any other supporting documents required by immigration authorities. More details on China Visa-free Transit Policy: 24-hour, 72-hour, 144-hour
5. Arrival in Chengdu: Upon arrival at Chengdu Tianfu International Airport, proceed to the immigration area. Inform the immigration officers that you are transiting under the visa-free transit policy and present your passport and onward ticket for verification.
6. Enjoy your stay: Once cleared by immigration, you are free to explore Chengdu and its surrounding areas during the permitted visa-free transit period.
7. Departure: Ensure that you depart Chengdu within the allowed visa-free transit period. Head back to Chengdu Tianfu International Airport in time for your onward flight.
It's important to note that the specific requirements and regulations for visa-free transit may vary, so it is recommended to check with the Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country or visit the official website of the Chinese Embassy for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding visa requirements and eligibility for visa-free transit in Chengdu.
Where can I travel with transit visa in Chengdu
1. Chengdu city center: Discover the vibrant cityscape of Chengdu with its modern buildings, bustling markets, and shopping districts. Explore Tianfu Square, Chunxi Road, and Kuanzhai Alley to experience the local culture, cuisine, and shopping.
2. Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding: See the adorable giant pandas and learn about conservation efforts. You can observe pandas up close.
3. Leshan Giant Buddha: Take a day trip from Chengdu to Leshan to see the impressive Leshan Giant Buddha, the largest stone Buddha statue in the world. It's a UNESCO World Heritage site and a popular attraction in the region.
4. Mount Qingcheng: It is one of the most important Taoist mountains in China. It offers picturesque hiking trails, ancient temples, and stunning natural scenery.
5. Dujiangyan Irrigation System: Visit the Dujiangyan Irrigation System, an ancient engineering marvel that has been providing water to Chengdu for over 2,000 years. Explore the scenic area and learn about the innovative irrigation techniques.
6. Mount Emei: It is a sacred Buddhist Mountain in Sichuan, offering stunning natural beauty, religious sites, and a famous Golden Summit. With lush forests, waterfalls, and misty peaks, it's renowned for its sunrise and sea of clouds. The mountain boasts temples, including Baoguo and Wannian, and offers hiking trails for all levels.
These are just a few examples of the places you can visit with a transit visa in Chengdu. There are many more attractions and cultural sites to explore. Get inspired by the sample Chengdu tours (Chengdu Tours, Vacations, Day Trips)or simply send inquiry via the form below.
Get a quick answer from ETripChina team